New Staff

  • Onboarding

    Please reach out to the Neuro coordinator at to complete all necessary Onboarding forms. The neuro coordinator can let you know what types of forms are necessary. Additionally, all paid employees must complete a form I-9 to be legally eligible for employment. The Neuro coordinator will provide the instructions necessary to do so, and you can refer to Page #3 of the I-9 form for a list of acceptable documents to bring to your I-9 appointment. New hires and hiring managers should reach out to the neuro coordinator with any questions about the onboarding process.

    Note that all full time Research Assistants are onboarded through central HR.

  • Harvard International Office

    If you are not a US citizen or permanent resident, you must register with the Harvard International Office within one week of the date you entered the country. The HIO is in Cambridge, at 1350 Mass Ave., Richard A. and Susan F. Smith Campus Center, 864 (formerly Holyoke Center).  You can contact the HIO here.

  • Obtain a Social Security Number and Card

    All individuals on Harvard payroll will need a Social Security Number. To obtain a SSN for the first time, you’ll need to submit an application to the Applying online is the fastest way to obtain a Social Security card. Answer a few questions to see if you can complete your request online, or if you need to finish part or all of your request in-person. Either way, you’ll receive your Social Security card in the mail within 14 days after your application is completed.


    After receiving your permanent SSN, please:

    1. Appointee should contact Central Payroll directly:
      1. Send a general email to notifying them that you have your Social Security card 
      2. Wait for UFS to respond with a specific email address to send the copy of your SSN card to. Please also note your HUID # with the copy of your SSN card.


    *Nonresident aliens should also update their GLACIER record and upload updated documents containing their SSN in order to have a tax review of adjustments to their tax withholding.


    1. Central Payroll will update the personal information in PeopleSoft with the permanent SSN.


  • Harvard ID Number and Card

    After completing onboarding forms, you will be able to obtain your Harvard ID.   With your HUID number, you now must complete lab safety training by logging into the Harvard Training Portal.  Be sure to SAVE YOUR TRAINING CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION.  Once training is complete, bring your ID application and training certificate to the Longwood ID Office – located at the School of Public Health, Kresge Bldg. Room 103 A (617-432-0389).  Your HUID will allow you to use the M2 shuttles, access Quad buildings and online digital library. Depending on your appointment type, your HUID will allow you to use the M2 shuttles, access Quad buildings and online digital library.

  • Neuro ListServs

    Please contact to be added to the Neurobiology E-Mailing Lists. These are used to disseminate important information concerning the department. You will need to provide your HMS e-mail address and host lab.


  • Copiers, Fax Machine

    There is a large copier across from GB422. Copy codes are available for each lab, and can be requested from your PI/lab manager, or by contacting


  • Internet Access

    If you need desktop support, contact the IT Help Desk (617-432-2000.) Neuro desktop support is provided by Tony Luong (
    (You will need your permanent Harvard ID for the following steps.)
    Use HarvardKey to manage and activate your HMS account.  Acquire your HMS account to access services across the school. During sign-up, you will also set up two factor authentication.

    To connect to the HMS Department File Server, so that you may save and retrieve files on the network, request help from West Quad Computing Group (617-432-5694.)

  • HMS Resources

    Harvie is Harvard's Intranet for Employees. You'll need your id and password before accessing this site. It includes information on Benefits Perks, Working at Harvard, Learning at Harvard, Work/Life Balance, Employment Policies & Contracts, access to financial applications, human resources (HR), and more; you may call the Longwood HR office at 617-432-2039.

    The Harvard Parking Office has maps of the Longwood area in pdf format.

    The HMS Postdoc Office -The HMS/HSDM Office for Postdoctoral Fellows works to enhance the development and experience of the postdoctoral community.

    There are other Community groups available to members of the Neurobiology community, described on our community page



  • BUY-TO-PAY (B2P)

    B2P is Harvard’s procurement portal to request Purchase Orders (PO), pay invoices, request to add new vendors or update existing vendor information. Contact the Neuro Finance Office/your Grant Manager for questions.

    There are two types of Purchase Orders:

    ·        POs generated via “Punchouts” from select vendors who provide Harvard access to create a shopping cart from their online catalog via the B2P system.

    ·        Non-Catalog POs are manually created requisitions to generate a Harvard PO number. In order to create a Non-Catalog PO, the vendor must a) be completely registered as a Harvard vendor and b) provide a quote to use as backup in the requisition request.

    Receipt of goods and services:

    ·        It is good practice to document receipt of goods and services in B2P for all items received.

    ·        It is required to create a “Receipt” in B2P for all goods/services with a PO value more than $2,500. Invoices will not be paid until the Receipt is created.


    ·        Invoices against Harvard-issued POs should be forwarded to for processing.

    ·        Invoices not associated with Harvard-issued POs must be processed in B2P via a “Payment Request.” Invoices must be attached in B2P.

    Access to B2P

    After completing required the training(s) contact your Grant Manager/the Finance Office to initiate the access request.

    ·        Getting Started with Buy-to-Pay (NOT REQUIRED):

    ·        Buy-to-Pay Shopper Essentials (REQUIRED for those creating Shopping Carts):

    ·        Buy-to-Pay Requestor Essentials (REQUIRED for those placing orders and submitting them for Harvard approval):


    B2P Support:

    Quick Start Guides: 


  • Purchasing Card (PCard)

    In the rare circumstances a vendor cannot accept a Purchase Order, a PCard may be used to complete smaller transactions. PCard Holders are responsible for all charges made on their card, including reporting and resolving fraudulent charges. PCard users MUST maintain receipts and submit monthly PCard reports via Concur for approval.

    Link to Concur:


    Required Training for PCard users and delegates:;spf-url=common%2Fledetail%2Fcours000000000028703  

    Allowable, Restricted, and Prohibited Purchases (from Section V of the Purchasing Card Policy)

    1.      Allowable expenses: PCards are generally used for low-dollar, high-volume, non-travel business expenses that can’t be purchased via HCOM. PCard can be used for Harvard business-related retail point-of sale purchases at campus restaurants where payment by 33-digit code is unavailable. Individual schools may have more restrictive PCard policies; check with your tub finance office for more information.


    2.      Allowable with restrictions:

    A. Gasoline for Harvard-owned vehicles only

    B. Purchases made with Paypal, but must include name of ultimate seller/vendor in the business purpose

    C.  The following travel and entertainment expenses are allowable (within the guidelines of the Travel & Reimbursement Policy) but the preferred method of payment is the corporate card:

    a.  Taxis (including UBER) 

    b.  Sedan Services and UBER Black

    c.  Conference fees

    d.  Business meals and allowable entertainment in the Boston/Cambridge area only


    3.      Prohibited Purchases:

    A. Personal purchases of any kind

    B. Split transactions to circumvent the single transaction limit

    C.  Gift cards/gift certificates of any amount

    D. Gifts for employees or students equal to or greater than $75

    E.  Travel and Entertainment:

    a.  Airline tickets

    b.  Travel agency charges

    c.  Hotel stays

    d.  Gasoline for vehicles not owned by Harvard

    e.  Theater tickets for entertainment purposes (tickets for academic/teaching purposes are allowed on the Pcard)

    f.   Airline club fees or airline memberships

    g.  Railroad tickets

    h.  Bus tickets

    i.   Cruise ship tickets

    j.   Rental cars, including Zip Car

    k.  Cash advances

    l. Travelers checks

    m. Prescription drugs and controlled substances

    n.   Hazardous materials

    If you have any questions regarding these restrictions, or the appropriate use of the Purchasing Card, please contact your local PCard administrator or email Card Services at

  • Tax-Exempt Forms

    The University, as a nonprofit educational institution, is exempt from Massachusetts sales and use tax and from sales and use tax in many other states and from federal excise tax. Since sales taxes are generally imposed only when goods are bought and consumed in the same state, sales tax does not apply when goods are ordered from an out-of-state firm and shipped to Harvard.

    Harvard’s tax exempt certificate may only be used for legitimate Harvard business purposes. The tax exempt certificate cannot be used for personal purchases or purchases for students groups which may have their own Tax ID number. Using the tax exempt number for non-Harvard business can jeopardize the University’s tax exempt status. In addition, inappropriate use may also be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.

     See Tax Exemption Guidance for Purchases and Travel for more information and responsibilities (

     Tax forms:



  • General

    Prior to making travel arrangements on Harvard Business, including traveling to a conference or meeting, Neuro travelers are encouraged to discuss their upcoming trips with their Grant Managers/Finance Office to ensure compliance with Harvard and Federal requirements.

    Please consult the Harvard Travel Policy and Appendices for detailed information on:

    ·        Air Travel

    ·        Ground Travel

    ·        Lodging

    ·        Meals and Incidentals

    ·        Combined Business and Personal Travel

    ·        Spouse/Family Member Travel

    ·        Travel Expenses Charged to Federal Awards or Cost Share Funds

    Harvard Travel Policy:


    ·        Harvard Travel Services:

    ·        Egencia Online Booking:

  • Federal Travel Basics

    Travel must be directly related to the purpose of the Federal Award(s) in order to be charged to Federal sponsored project or cost-share account strings.

    The information provided below is not intended to be an exhaustive overview of the special requirements. Consult the Neuro Finance Office and Appendix G for detailed information about “Requirements for Travel Expenses Charged to Federal Awards or Cost-Share Funds” (


    Lowest Economy Fare Class: Federal regulations (2 CFR §200.475.e(1)) require travelers to incur the lowest possible expense to the federal award; in most circumstances, this is a non-refundable (restricted) economy class airfare.

    Harvard defines lowest economy class airfare (sometimes called coach, standard economy fare class or base airfare) to include a reserved seat, one personal item, one carry-on bag, and one checked bag.

    Fly America Act: All air travel on federal awards must comply with the Fly America Act and use U.S. Flag Carriers even when a less costly foreign flag carrier is available, unless the flight meets the circumstances and exceptions described in the Harvard University Fly America Travel Reimbursement Exception Form ( .



    Travelers are expected to stay in standard, single-occupancy rooms where available; room upgrade fees are not reimbursable. Travelers may stay at a conference hotel using a conference rate when appropriate.



    Individual Meals during travel: Travelers will be reimbursed for reasonable individual meal expenses while on University business.

    Business Meals during travel: In order to charge a business meal on a federal award, an itemized receipt should be presented even if the total amount of the bill is less than $75.

    Alcohol is never allowed to be charged to a Federal/Cost Share Award, but may be reimbursed via Harvard funds.


  • International Travel

    Prior to traveling internationally, Harvard employees are required to register their trip with International SOS ( Failure to register may result in the rejection of a reimbursement request.

    Travel Registration FAQs:

    For planned international travel on Federal Awards, please consult your Grant Manager/Finance Office and Appendix G of the Travel Policy ( prior to making arrangements.